Sunday, December 10, 2006

December weekend

Hello,
So I think this will become a weekend blog, as this is when it is light enough outside for me to take pictures! The weekend passed by quickly, sadly. Friday night - Shabbat dinner at JN's parents' house. Saturday: first I went to a police auction for lost and stolen bicycles. This was an adventure, since I don't speak Danish and have never been to an auction. Here you can view the bicycles for 30 minutes in advance, then they bring up one by one, and the auctioneer decides on a starting price. Depending on the starting price, by raising your hand you are agreeing to "up" the bid by increments of 25 or 50 or 100 DKK. He hits the gavel when there is a final bid. Since I was nervous and a bit over-eager, I won the bid on the 2nd bicycle they brought out. Afterward you take the bike outside and there is man out there who will saw off the lock for 20DKK and will also sell you a lock from the trunk of his car for another 50DKK (give or take a few DKK). Unfortunately when I went to lower the seat of the bike, it seems it is jammed, and may not be able to be lowered. Danish women are apparently very tall, as I cannot even mount this bike as it is. I will take it to my friend's place; he has 9 bikes and likes to repair them so hopefully I will have some luck.
Here are photos from the S-train (one of the 3 train systems in Denmark) and auction:



After this I rushed to synagogue, then walked around central Copenhagen, then went for a jog as there was actually sun shining (!).

Today I went for another jog as the sun was still shining (!) and almost literally ran into hoards of runners that apparently are training for the Copenhagen marathon in May. They run in very organized groups, arranged by target pace. I discovered a new park very close to where I live. I also ventured to the big mall in town and did some shopping.
Here is a photo of the bicycle parking area - very unique!



Later I saw Little Miss Sunshine (HIGHLY recommend it!) and to a cafe with a Jewish group of people whom I organized via e-mail. Here is a picture of the cafe, and no I don't know the people in the photo (there are laundry machines in a separate room, not visible in the photo):


All in all a nice weekend!

No comments: