Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Surprise!!

Last week I decided to book a last-minute trip to Paris. Most of my good friends were not going to be in Copenhagen for the weekend, and I did not want to spend my 30th birthday alone. So I booked my flight on Tuesday last week, for a Friday early morning flight. The plan was to stay with EF and his girlfriend in the city.

Friday morning I woke up very early, took a taxi to the airport, and after check-in learned that my flight was delayed by 2 hours. Then on the plane, a nasty Swedish couple was not so friendly about letting me sit in my assigned window seat... not a nice way to start my birthday. But, I did happen to run into a Danish friend of mine (who is living in Paris) so I was happy that I would have someone to assist me with navigating the trains and metros in Paris.

Upon arrival, and leaving the baggage area, as I made a sudden turn to head towards the ATM to get some Euros, I felt a tug on my jacket. I turned around, and who was standing there....

Jonathan!!!!

He had surprised me (and was also the first to wish me happy birthday in person)! He had worked extra hours and booked an even-more-last-minute ticket, and arrived a couple hours before me. I was speechless, and shocked, and was making some kinds of squeaks for about 20 minutes, alternating between laughter and tears, I was so touched. It was the best surprise I could have wished for!

Here is our initial happy reunion at the airport:


When we both came back to Planet Earth, we caught the train into the city and headed to his aunt and uncle's, in the 11ieme arrondissement (near Bastille). We had a delicious lunch with the family, then Jonathan and I headed out for a stroll around the city.



(more photos from the weekend can be found here and here)

We walked through Place des Vosges, around Pompidou, city hall, and stopped at a café. In the evening we celebrated over dinner at Cafe de l'Industrie, enjoying delicious french food (now I am very curious to read Why French Women Don't Get Fat). We ended the evening at a cafe/bar with EF and F.

Saturday we started out at Place du Concorde, then walked through Musee d'Orsay, around St. Michel, through Notre Dame, and met some more relatives before having a lovely family dinner back at the apartment.

Sunday we walked through the weekly market with Jonathan's uncle, then said goodbye to his aunt who was working at the synagogue, then grabbed another quick cafe, then headed to the airport. The 2.5 days together were 'priceless' and most memorable!

Sunday night I made it to the 18ieme arrondissement, where I met up with EF and F, sat at a cafe, then ate delicious racklette at their apartment (with view of the Eiffel tower!). Monday I returned to Copenhagen, filled with joy from a most wonderful weekend! Merci Jonathan, tu me rends la plus heureuse femme au monde!

No comments: