Saturday, December 8, 2007

par-té!

Almost a year ago to the day, I held a going-away party in my apartment in Somerville, and I felt the same was necessary here in Copenhagen. So, last weekend, somewhere between 20-25 friends came to my place. I had prepared some yummy food (pasta salad, apple crisp, cookies, and of course potato latkes in honour of channuka!). Just as the 1st guest arrived, the power went out! Luckily, I had bought a bazillion candles to create the right 'hyggelig' atmosphere, so many people did not even notice that there was no power! (And, luckily, everything cooked was out of the oven by then).

Here's a photo of me which kind of shows the lighting...


I also put some tea-light candles on the stairway, which people thought was to create more atmosphere. The only down-side was lack of music. Once the power came on about 2 hrs later, and I was able to turn on the music, the mood of the party completely changed. It's amazing how music can do that!

It was nice to reflect on how I had met these people - some are work colleagues, some are friends from the Jewish community, and the rest are friends-of-friends. In Denmark people are very clear in distinguishing 'friends' from 'acquaintances' but for the purpose of the party, everyone there was my friend!

Here are some photos - yes I do actually have female friends...


And here are some work colleagues...


The rest of the photos can be seen here.

The last guests left at 3.15, so I guess that is a sign that it was a good party!

No comments: