Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pass the Peas!



Thursday July 12 I had the honour of seeing my favourite musician, Maceo Parker (more photos here), in concert in my own town of Østerbro! He was here as part of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival, and I timed my arrival back from Korea just in time to make it to the concert. It truly amazes me how he can so easily elevate one's spirits. The band is so tight, and he is a fantastic entertainer. He just has to smile, and the crowd goes wild. He punctuated his songs with his usual crowd-pleasing phrases like, "we...love...YOU!" and "to be... or not to be.... FUN-KY!!" . I had to wait until the encore before he played my all-time favourite, Pass the Peas. But it was worth the wait. And, to top it all off, at the end of the concert, I walked away with probably my best memorabilia to this day (well, it's a close tie between this and my signed CD copy Time Out by Dave Brubeck), one of the drummer's drumsticks! It even has wood splinters down the middle. Last year AF and I had the honour to get a VIP tour of the jazz musicians' after hours jam session at the Montreal Jazz Festival courtesy of the organ player. This year I was quite content with the drumstick. Thanks for a great show Maceo!

No comments: