Sunday, April 8, 2007

A spring weekend in March

Hi! I'm back in Copenhagen and have some time to update the blog with some recent adventures.

A few weeks ago I had a weekend visit from QL. Luckily the weather was fantastic - sunny and warm - so we had a chance to explore the city and surroundings. We visited the Rosenborg Castle, which is in the centre of the city. Here is a picture of the castle with obvious signs of spring ...


We also spent a day at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. The museum is about 40 mins by train from CPH and is located on the coast in Humlebæk. The building itself is designed into a small cliff and offers many views of the Øresund (body of water between Denmark and Sweden). The two exhibits were not entirely my cup of tea; there was a collection of art from modern China (potentially an interesting collection but was somewhat strange and not terribly impressive), and the other was a collection of works by Cindy Sherman. These paintings were extremely disturbing, in that they were exaggerations of portraits (ex. Mona Lisa) with physical features enhanced, giving each portrait a clown-like appearance, and, well, we all know how much I like clowns...Needless to say, the highlight of the day was lunch outside, atop the cliff, overlooking the water.
Here is one of my favourite items at the museum:


On our way back, we stopped for some hot chocolate and sat by the lakes. We saw 2 people with extremely bizarre shoes, which had springboard-like attachments underneath and are seemingly used for running very long strides:


Has anyone seen these around? They don't look very safe to me... I think I'll stick to my regular runners.

No comments: