Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Kudos to European Airports

Here's a story that I think could only happen here.
Yesterday, I left my nice earphones (Etymotic Research ER-6's for those in the know) on the airplane from Copenhagen to Stuttgart. I only realized they were missing when I reached Torino. I looked up some airport and airline phone numbers on the web and tried a few, but all leads were closed for the night.
Today I had some time in the Torino airport on the way back, so I called CPH airport. After only a short automated menu, I got a person. He told me that if anything they would be at lost and found in Stuttgart and they gave me a number there. I phoned, reached a person (!), who said she thought she had them there. I described them and sure enough she said they were the ones. Keep in mind that these earphones come in a tiny black pouch, smaller than a deck of cards, so I was amazed they were even taken off the plane to begin with. I asked if she could ship them to me in CPH and she said no, but she could send them to the CPH airport, to the lost and found of SAS airline. There was a flight arriving from Stuttgart at 19h30, which seemed good, since I was due to arrive (from Munich) at 22h00. Sure enough, I landed in CPH, found the desk (which was still open at that hour), and there were my headphones in an envelope with my name on it. Amazing!! I guess after my awful experience when my digital camera was stolen from my suitcase "misplaced" by TSA in Atlanta and I could hardly reach a human being at Delta or TSA or any airport counter, (and finally after a lengthy claims process, they only reimbursed me for the depreciated value of the camera, which was about 1/3 what I paid for it), I was expecting that my headphones were long gone.

Another thing I greatly appreciate about European airports: food establishments that use real plates and cutlery. Air travel is so rushed and unpleasant, and having fast food with plastic and an abundance of packaging just adds to the discomfort and notion that air travel is one of the most environmentally unfriendly ways to travel. The restaurants at Munich airport (even the fast food take-out options) are so nice, I enjoy taking the extra time during a layover to sit and "relax" (as much as is feasible after a stressful business trip...).
Hooray for good customer service :-)

No comments: