Saturday, January 20, 2007

Rain

Have I mentioned how much it rains here? I believe I'm correct when I say that in the time I have been here, there have probably been only 3 days where it has not rained. Of course there is a scale of wet-ness; some days it is just a fine mist (which can even appear when it is sunny!), and some days it is all-out wet-feet umbrella-inverting rain, with wind, like today.

It is a small miracle that I made it out of bed and to synagogue this morning, despite the rain, and despite the fact that I was up a bit late at the Park Cafe (also doubles as night club) last night with DL and her friends (side note: I can't recall the last time I have been in the presence of so many females!). The dinner part was quite tasty (very large portions though) and the night club was... interesting. I have heard that this is typical of the Danes, but the social phenomenon of nightclubs here is just strange. First, we were ushered away from our table into the nightclub at 10:30pm and it was empty. No DJ, no other guests (thank goodness we were 12 people so we had our own little party). Since we were booted from our table we got a free bottle of vodka and orange juice. In any case, by midnight, the club was finally filling up. However no one dances. People just sit (or stand) and stare at the few of us on the dance floor, while they proceed to spend hundreds of dollars on alcohol (remember, Copenhagen is an expensive city... but still, the quantity of alcohol consumed is high). I left at 1am and by that point there were a few more people on the dance floor, but not many. Now, I know people can be wallflowers at nightclubs, but usually there is a balance between the introverts and extroverts. I am told that as the night progresses and more alcohol is consumed, that people finally get moving on the dance floor. But I wasn't quite up for waiting for that to happen, after a tiring week at work.

OK, I think I will have a short nap, dry off my wet toes, then I'll be off to see a classical music concert with PS. I'll report back later.

No comments: