Saturday, January 6, 2007

Happy 2007!

Well, now the blog is officially worthy of its name!
I'm back in Copenhagen after a whilrwind trip to Boston, Toronto and Montreal over the past 2 weeks. I'm happy to have seen all of the family and friends and I apologize to those I may have missed on this trip.

So, I finally received my Danish work permit! It was quite an adventure to get the actual sticker in my passport. Initially, I was told to pick it up at an office in Roskilde (same town where I work). Someone at work then told me that this office is undergoing rennovations, so I would need to go to a different office on the opposite side of Copenhagen. So, I used the convenient "Rejseplanen" website to map out my public-transit trip from my apartment to Karlslunde. 1 hr later I was at this office, only from my limited amount of Danish it seemed like the equivalent of the Registry of Motor Vehicles. After a brief wait I was told that I was in the wrong office (as I had suspected), and that I was supposed to go to the Criminal Police office in Roskilde. Roskilde? I thought this office was closed? No, it's a different office. So, back on the train I went, and found a bus that would take me to Roskilde. Luckily I made it to that office before it closed at noon and, lo and behold, I obtained my permit! I managed to make it back to work by lunchtime.

The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. Some highlights: outdoor skating at night in Kongens Nytorv (big circle in the centre of the city), karaoke, Shabbat dinner at Chabad, watching Ushpizin with MF (great film, highly recommended), and wandering around the pedestrian streets this afternoon. Looking forward to my Sunday Danish tomorrow :-)

No comments: