Saturday, November 25, 2006

Saturday

Here's an update of my 1st Saturday in CPH...
Woke up a bit late (see last post) and went for a jog. I realized I was the only jogger wearing shorts, and must have stood out like a sore thumb. Typically my shorts cutoff is 7C, and it was supposedly 9C, but with wind and rain and in the interest of looking like everyone else I think I will stick to leggings next time.
My next task was to purchase my train pass. There are many permutations of tickets/passes/zones which makes things a bit complicated, but finally I figured I needed an all-zone monthly pass. Once I asked for this, I was asked for a photo, and since I didn't have one, I was instructed to go to the photo booth at the other entrance. Of course the photo booth did not take bills (only coins). I recalled I had a spare passport photo so I went back to my hotel room, retrieved the photo, then went back to the train station. Also most places only take the special "Dankort", or Danish debit card. Luckily I had enough cash for the transaction - equivalent of $183US for a monthly pass! Yikes!

Got my pass, and was on my way to Norreport station, which is close to the pedestrian shopping area in downtown CPH. It's amazing how 4 hours of wandering around in a foreign place can be quite tiring. Well, I guess part of that was due to the fact that I went up the tall round tower of one of the churches to admire CPH from above:


My mission was to purchase boots to match my new outfit (birthday treat to myself) and get a cell phone. Boot mission was eventually successful; cell phone mission was not. As with almost everything else, I need my special Copenhagen ID # to get a contract. So, no cell phone for now.

Grocery shopping can also be a challenge. Here when you buy fruits and veggies you have to weigh them and get a sticker from a machine so when you get to the cash they just have to scan the sticker. These machines have photos of the fruits and veggies so you select the appropriate photo, but some photos don't quite look like what you are buying, so I had to ask some strangers how to say PLUM in Danish so I could match up the words. One more note to self, remember to bring plastic bags to the store, otherwise you have to pay to purchase bags. If only North America were so progressive!

Well, I'm back in the hotel, and might venture out later tonight to explore a different part of the city. Miss you all!

No comments: