Saturday, May 19, 2007

Tokyo, part 1

Since I'll be in Tokyo for a week, I imagine there will be a few posts.
This one is a long one, but don't despair, there are photos!

I love this city! It is truly fascinating. There are so many layers of people, roads, trains, monorails, metros, subways... you never really know when you are standing on ground level. And there is so much to see, it is overwhelming!

Friday after I arrived I went straight to Akihabara, the electronics officionado's (i.e. geek's) heaven. Prices are quite a bit higher than in USA, so all I bought was an el-cheapo plastic cover for my iPod shuffle.

Traveling alone is usually OK during the daytime, but dinnertime always is a bit of a challenge. You pretty much need to have a good book with you, otherwise you a) finish dinner in about 10 minutes, and b) feel very self-conscious. I ended up eating at a "pub"-style restaurant (though not at all what you would call pub food by any other standards), located under a bridge. My only companion was a stray cat, which kept me company for the duration of the meal. I guess lost souls seek each other out somehow...
Here's the photo of the outdoor seating:


And my dinner companion:


Friday morning I literally ran into a colleague from Wilmington while on a jog. It's always nice to be surprised by a familiar face. I spent the (long) day in the office, had a sushi lunch, then a group dinner on the 47th floor of a building. Here is the view from up high:


This morning I jogged again, had a leisurely breakfast with another colleague, then headed out on the JR train to Harajuku station, en route to the Meiji-Jingu Shinto shrine. [side note: the subways and trains can be tricky to navigate because the system is so extensive, but thanks to some previous experiences with JL in 2003 and 2005 I am more confident now at choosing the correct destination!]

However, as soon as I got out of the station, I was facing this...


So, naturally I spent quite alot of time (um, and a bit of money) there. So cute!

So I finally made it to the shrine, which you reach after walking through a very peaceful forested road. There were several weddings going on, so I was able to observe some of the traditional Japanese regalia for such an occasion.

Here are some shrine and wedding photos.




I am guessing these are the equivalent of bridesmaids...


One can also leave messages written on little wooden boards, which adorn a wall surrounding a tree.


Some of the messages are quite touching and profound (families reuniting, world peace, etc).
This one was just plain amusing.



From there I headed down Omote-Sando road, which is packed with people and stores. It is an area where teenagers hang out and dress up in Anime costumes, which was pretty bizarre. Alot of school-girl-type outfits gone awry. Off the side streets are more off-the-wall stores, and made me feel totally UNcool, compared to these ultra-stylish locals. Found a rooftop cafe and had grapefruit ice tea while enjoying some sun and reading my book.

Further down the road I came across a store that at first glance looks like a children's boutique, but upon closer examination one realizes it is just for dogs.


Being alone, it can be difficult to fill an entire afternoon in one place, so I managed to find a Dean and Deluca's (of Felicity fame) nearby!! I had some tea and read my book there before dinner.

Finally, I ended up on the top floor of Bell's Commons mall, at a restaurant recommended by a vegetarian colleague, since it specializes in tofu. Again, it was a bit strange eating in a formal setting on my own, but the meal was fantastic! I think it was meant for two, but since I had skipped lunch and walked all day, I managed to do it some justice. They kept bringing out more and more small dishes. Some were not easy to identify, but since the emphasis was tofu, I assumed it was acceptable. Yum!




Time to soak my sore feet and head to bed. Tomorrow I plan to get out of the city to see the countryside.

No comments: