Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Farvel, København...

[this was written Friday, Dec 14]

So, this is it. It's hard to believe the year in Copenhagen has come to a close. Tonight is my last night in this beautiful city, and I am very sad to be leaving (though of course excited for what lies ahead!). Today was focused on saying goodbye to the place I (sort-of) called home since last November.

I remember arriving in the dark, rainy city, alone, nervous... and though I am leaving in the dark (hopefully not rainy) time of the year, my nervousness went away, and I feel I have learned so much and have been so lucky to have had this experience. My colleagues at work gave me a heartfelt send-off. I received several Danish-design housewares at work, then last night was presented with a sexy new "N" phone that has our chip in it!! Being the gadget freak that I am, and having put many hours into that project, I am so excited! (And according to Jonathan, the sound from the microphone sounds great!). Along with the phone came a warm speech from my boss. Another colleague sent flowers to my apartment, wishing me luck in Canada. It is amazing how kind and generous people are, and what is more touching, is that it comes from people who otherwise don't tend to express their emotions openly. It was all the more meaningful as a result. Today the tears came when saying goodbye to my boss, when riding the S-tog and bus, and when saying goodbye to DL. In fact, my two best friends here (JN and DL) are both leaving Copenhagen as well (for Israel and UK, respectively), so perhaps my departure is even more well-timed. Though leaving is sad, as my boss said, it is better to leave on such a positive note. I will have very fond memories for years to come!

And so, 4 check-in bags and 2 carry-ons representing my life in Denmark will accompany me back to Boston and then to Canada (along with 5 large boxes shipping next week). I will fly through Zurich and if all is well will end up in Jonathan's arms in Boston. What a nice way to start the next chapter in my life!

Farvel, København, og tak for sidst!

No comments: